Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful -- Mesa, AZ Photographer

{ Thankful }


Um, I think that Roscoe is taking his begging habit a little too far....

But this is by no means a way to poke fun at those who truly are struggling. In fact, I have a heart for those who are struggling and I'd love to bring awareness to it, using irony to bring light to something that is truly a serious situation.

Thank you for letting me share my heart. <3

Something really impacted me. Last year, as I was exiting a freeway in Phoenix, I saw a man carrying a sign like this and something in me completely broke me at the very core of who I was. I had never seen a man look so...hungry before. His very eyes were so hungry--I could see it that he was struggling and hungry and they still haunt me today thinking about him. I had nothing on me. No money, no nothing to give to him and so I had to drive past. I remember crying in brokeness that day because I wished that I could do more.

I sometimes feel like the weight of the world will crush me when I think about how many people are struggling and how I wish we could help everyone. I wish there was enough to share and give and that everyone had the wonderful opportunity to live so freely without having to wonder where their next meal is coming from.

It's true, we cannot help everyone...the thought kills me, but it's true. The world will always have the poor. But while we can't help everyone, we CAN help some and it to them, it matters. As Thanksgiving approaches and we're reminded of how blessed and fortunate we are, I wanted to encourage others to find a special way to make someone's day and if you feel led to it, give back a portion of what you've been given.

Maybe you can pay for the meal of the person behind you in the drive through line.

....or smile and talk with the clerk at the store that's working so feverishly on Black Friday.

.......or let someone have that coveted parking spot or hold open the door for someone.

Maybe you can give a gift card to a local fast food restaurant to the person standing by the entrance of the supermarket asking for food, or drop in some coins as the Salvation Army rings their bells.

There are so many ways that we can touch other people's lives--big ways, small ways....and small things done in a big way. : ) So many ways to fill empty bellies and empty hearts. Both need filling.

It's amazing how much better that Turkey tastes when you have already had your belly filled with the kindness you extend towards strangers.

What can you do this year? Be creative.

Holidays have a way of bringing out the best in people and bonding us together in brotherhood and sisterhood and looking out for each other's best.
Make this one a great one!

Happy { early } Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment