Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2011

{ Photo Snobs }


{ Photo Snobs }

I may get some heat back for this one as a photographer, but it's something I'm sounding off about because I feel passionate about it.

Increasingly, I've come across friends who have been snubbed by other photographers in the profession because they lived within a certain zip code and and they didn't want competition encroaching on their territory. A friend of mine was denied a workshop because she lived "too close" to the photographer offering it. Other photographers have written to me and lamented about how other photographers were tight lipped with offering them advice. The photographers viewed them as competition and didn't want to be trumped in their own work.

As a photographer who's { so } graciously been given help by other photographers, it's disheartening to hear that some photographers are being snubbed by these "photo snobs."

{ Teamwork }

I always love sharing information I know with other photographers because I see us all working together as a team. I don't see other photographers as a threat--I see them as a blessing. My thought is, "If I give this photographer information and they end up being better than me or better a lot quicker, then that's because God gifted them to be more gifted than me." What I say or don't say won't be what makes that happen. That's something that will happen anyways because it's something that comes from the inside out. They will inevitably find their information somewhere and flourish anyway...and if they do flourish at a quicker pace, I can learn from them.  I want to encourage people to follow their dreams and to use the gifts and talents that God has given them and I love being a part of helping others find success in their work. So many other photographers have been so incredible in helping me with my own photography and I'm so grateful to them for their time and help. Why shouldn't I give back when I can too and help others?

I always want to be a team player and be an encouragement to others in the same way that others have been an encouragement to me!

{ Photo Snob. }

No photo snobs here. ; )

"In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we
give out completes the circle and comes back to us." -- Flora Edwards


Do you have a story about being snubbed by a photo snob? How did you handle it?
Have you been helped by another photographer that you want to give props here to?
Give a shout out to these champion team players!

I'll give my own thank yous to some awesome photographers who have really poured a lot of themselves out to help me, whether through personal advice, mentoring or posting so much help information on their blog--thanks girls! You have gone more out of your way than others and I so appreciate your help. Gold star--you girls are the rockstars of the photo world!:

Thank you Pati Pakulis!
&
Thank you Melissa Jill!
&
Thank you Jen O'Sullivan!
&
Thank you Jasmine Star!
&
Thank you Brienne Michelle!







13 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post, Alicia! I feel blessed to have come across you. It's people like you that make this profession great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so awesome.....I have had people write bad things to me or about me but don't know who they are. Having people like you around far surpasses what those people have said and I do know that whatever I want I will acomplish but all in time. I can't run before I walk. I'm so greatful for your friendship not just because we share our love for photography but because you are such a beautiful human being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jenny, Carmen and Cris! : ) I'm so glad to hear that you were encouraged by this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alicia. Love your heart for others, and your passion for sharing your work, and your knowledge. God is faithful, and He shines through you!
    Blessings my friend, Chari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Chari : ) That is so sweet of you to say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. This is my first visit to your page...one of your Facebook fans shared this link. I recently decided to take my photography to the "next" level and start a business (part-time for now...my eventual goal is to be able to go full-time). It is very refreshing to know that there are people such as yourself out there who are willing to provide a helping hand along the way. You've got a new fan based on this blog post alone...I look forward to seeing your future updates

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I agree completely... I love sharing information because I have learned so much by others who have been liberal with their knowledge. I will throw this out there though (at the risk of being tarred and feathered :D ) - I do not ever think bad of a photographer who will NOT share tips/techniques/etc. for whatever reason. They do not owe me anything. It is their choice to not share and I completely respect them for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the post! So often then not it is easy for people to get jealous but you are right it is so much better to be corroborative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the blog Rick! : ) I'm glad that you stopped by. I'm right with you and taking your photography to the next level. I recently quit my full time job and took on a part time one so that I could pursue photography more and the doors were just flung wide open. I feel happiest when I'm shooting photos. I feel alive. And as much as it fills me to shoot, I'm always left feeling hungry for more photo shoots. The very act of "work" itself in photography is like child's play because it's so much fun! : )! I hope that you get the opportunity too! It's scary to think about quitting your full time job because it's "safe." But if you can, get things lined up and go for it : ) I'm cheering you on! When I quit, I told myself, "This may be the biggest mistake of my life...or it might be the biggest blessing. I won't know unless I try...and I don't want to look back and say, "What if?" Let me know when you have your website up and running and if you're writing a blog too and I'll follow you. : )

    Anonymous, haha, don't worry--no tarring or feathering here! I have to say that you made me laugh though, lol. That was cute. :D I really want to encourage people to sound off their own thoughts and opinions. That's what blogging is for and I love interaction whether someone agrees or not. Thank you so much for taking hte time to share your view on things : ) I'm so glad that you stopped by to visit! Welcome! : )

    Rachel, you're welcome! : )! I agree with you 100%!

    Everyone, let me know if you have any questions you'd like answered here on the blog and I'll work them into future blog posts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. WoW!! I was chatting with a friend of mine about this exact thing just the other day! I completely agree with you! :) Great post! :) Bless ya much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh awesome Alvina! : ) I'm glad that you loved reading this blog post! When I first wrote the post, I wasn't sure if I'd get some heat for writing it, but everyone's been pretty positive about it. Turns out the photo snobs I've heard of are in their own "elitist" group. ; ) Thankfully, there aren't too many of them. Everyone really seems to be into being a team player...and I soo love that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Just read your blog on "photo snobs" I've been snobbed by an ad magazine in my community, I wasn't allowed to place an ad in their magazine run by a husband and wife, the wife is a photographer in my community. Needless to say I was told that in order to keep businesses balanced that they weren't anymore room at this time place an ad under the photography section. yeah, sure...whatever!

    ReplyDelete