Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

{ Sales 101 -- The Unconventional Approach To Sales } -- Mesa, AZ Photographer

{ The Unconventional Salesperson }

Photo courtesy of Beth Obermeyer of Lizzie Bee Photography / www.lizziebeephotography.com

This is me.

Beba.
(pronounced "Bee-Buh")
I'm probably the most backwards person when it comes to sales.

I am not a pushy salesperson.
It is not the most important thing for me to make sales.

Yet, I still stay in business and do make sales.

Why is that?

I think that it's a shift of focus that's totally unconventional from what traditional salespeople will tell you. Here's what I think makes the difference:

I'm more interested in making a connection than I am in closing a sale. I'm more interested in investing an experience and friendship into that person than I am in getting something back from them.

Scary thought as a salesperson, right?

Not really.

The truth is that people will be walk away happier because they will have been invested in and they will have products that they love and won't have buyer's remorse for being pushed into a sale.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a business woman, so I still set minimums on my packages that clients sign contracts for......They know ahead of time what they're going to be paying for when they hire me as their photographer, so there are no questions......but I don't push for more once they meet their minimum.

Wait!

Shouldn't I be? Shouldn't I be trying to "sell" them?

In my opinion, no.

Of course I want sales--I'm in business. But for me, it's more important for me to make a genuine connection with that person. My end goal is different. I want my clients to walk away with an experience--a happy memory--and not just pictures. I want there to be an incredible memory of, "We had so much fun that day!" rather than "That girl was such a pushy salesperson--I bought a ton of extra stuff that I didn't want."

Do my clients end up buying extra photos? In almost every case, yes. But not because I pushed them. After they meet their minimum, I leave it up to them to decide what they want.

Is it counter cultural?

You betcha.

But is it more satisfying and fulfilling as a business person?

YES.

I cannot tell you how wonderful it feels to know that you've made someone's day brighter or the thought that you've just made a new friend with someone who was a stranger just a week ago.

Many of my clients have now become my dear friends.

For me, that's the best "sell" in the world--it costs nothing and gives the greatest return.

Sales are momentary, but creating friendships and lasting memories are priceless.

So, go out there and sell....but make sure that you're investing more into the lives of people who are giving their business back to you. : )


{ More Sales 101 tips at my upcoming 1 Day Workshop for those of you who are interested }
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/note.php?note_id=223103164403652



No comments:

Post a Comment